Set up your VM as a data service location#
In this article, you will learn how easy it is to deploy data applications on your Linux (ubuntu) VM. We will create a SeekTable data service on your local workstation and connect to it locally.
Here is a summary of the steps you will need to follow. Firstly, install the prerequisite software if not present then we create a kubernetes cluster and set it up as an Ametnes Data Service location and then finally, we create a simple SeekTable service.
If you do not have an Ametnes Cloud account, sign up here to create one.
Setting up an Ametnes Data Services Location#
An Ametnes Application Location is basically a kubernetes cluster that is set up and connected to the Ametnes Cloud control plane. It will generally be a dedicated cluster but that is not mandatory.
Depending on your operating system, the prerequisites to get you started will differ.
Setup you application location#
Using kind with GPUs
If you have and would like to use GPUs on your VM, install kind with this
In your Ametnes Cloud console account, get the default Application Location with
- Login into your Ametnes Cloud account here.
- Navigate to the Service Locations menu on the left
- Copy the default location's UUID
External IP address#
Identify your external IP address. If using an EC2 instance, this will be your public IP address if one exists.
Create the location cluster with#
After a short while, the data service location should come
Create the service#
- Using the Services left menu, navigate to the service management dashboard.
- Click New Service.
- Enter the SeekTable to filter from the list and select Create
- In the displayed form, enter the following info.
- Enter the Name:
- Select a Version from the list.
- Select the Location:
- Enter the Name:
Using the Services left menu, navigate to the service management dashboard. Your service should be listed.
Service not showing
If your service list is empty, use the filter at the top right corner, to filter for ALL services.
After a while, your data service status will change to
- To the right of your service, click the
Adminbutton and you will navigate to your service's details page.
- At the bottom of the page, copy the endpoint of your service as well as your username/key and password.
- In your browser, paste the URL
- You should get a prompt to login.
Delete all services#
- In your Ametnes Cloud console, navigate to the Admin section of each service
- Delete the service.
In this post, we explored how to set up your local workstation as an Ametnes Data Service location. This then allowed us to deploy a SeekTable service that we were able to connect to.